Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford



I visited this wonderful museum in Oxford on Sunday. The museum is a collection of anthropological artifacts from around the world. The Pitt Rivers is unique because it groups its items not by culture, but by use. The cases are crammed full of unique objects. There are also many drawers under some of the cases that can be explored. I spent a couple of hours at this museum and I am sure that I only saw a fraction of what there was to see.



This was a great case full of Noh theatre masks. I have always been fascinated by Japanese theatre.




These cases are a bit gruesome. They show how different cultures have treated their enemies. If you look behind the shrunken heads you can see scalp trophies from Native American tribes.

Rustin Allison

No comments: