Sunday, November 30, 2008

Edward Scissorhands



I just saw this production a couple of weeks ago and it has been haunting me ever since. Matthew Bourne adapted the classic Tim Burton film into a dance-play. It really is one of the most moving things that I have seen. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the film, and this production is a great re-telling of it. I did have a few complaints about some minor story changes, but overall I highly recommend this show. 

The dances work perfectly with Danny Elfman's music and the set design and new music capture the Burton feel on stage. The choreography was stunning, poignant and at times surprisingly humorous. This all combines to be a highly emotional evening at the theatre. Having seen the film several times, I was not expecting to be emotionally moved as I was at seeing this production. I was very very moved by the ending. I won't ruin anything because it took me by such a surprise.



Rustin Allison





No comments: