Monday, May 25, 2009

The Howling

The Howling
1981
Directed by Joe Dante

I am not sure what to make of this film. I enjoyed parts of the film. I thought the creatures looked great, and some of the effects sequences were very well done. I enjoyed seeing Patrick Macnee in another role (he's famous for playing John Steed). Some parts of the film just seemed too silly though. I enjoyed the humor of the film... it's just that some of the more serious moments came off as just plain silly.  

Here's what I enjoyed about the humor: the intercutting of a Disney Big Bad Wolf cartoon with a werewolf attack was really funny... in a dark sort of way. I didn't like how some of the people in the Colony acted. I felt it gave away the secret of the Colony way too early. Also, the love scene by the fire just looked way too fake. This may have been intentional... but to me it just looked bad and distracted from the film.

Rustin Allison

No comments: