Thursday, January 8, 2009

Don John

Don John
29 December, 2008
Kneehigh Theatre at the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-upon-Avon
Directed by Emma Rice

I went to see this because I absolutely loved Kneehigh's theatrical version of Brief Encounter. I did enjoy this show, but not quite as much as their previous effort. 

Don John takes the narrative of Mozart's Don Giovanni and places it in a small English town in 1978. Don is a womanizer who does not care about the broken trail he leaves behind him as he goes from one woman to the next. 

Kneehigh uses a combination of drama, film, dance, and music. In Brief Encounter, all of these elements created a wonderful whole. In Don John, it felt a bit disjointed.

It was a good show, but it is not high on my list of plays that I have seen in 2008.

Rustin Allison

No comments: