Sunday, February 15, 2009

"Masters of Horror" - Imprint

"Masters of Horror"
Imprint
2006
Directed by Takashi Miike

This is the first episode of "Masters of Horror" that I have seen. Imprint was only released on DVD and never shown on television. After watching this episode, I now understand why. I won't go into any details about what is shocking in this story, but be forewarned - it is not for the faint of heart (or stomach).

Takashi Miike is such a fascinating director to me. His films seem to traverse all film genres. I have only seen a few of his films (my personal favorite is The Happiness of the Katakuris), but everyone that I have seen is so completely different to any film that I have seen before. It is very hard to watch a Miike film at its most brutal, but Miike can also make a funny comedy. I look forward to Yatterman.

So, even though Imprint did disgust me I did enjoy the episode. The story relies on an unreliable narrator and takes many twists to its end. The imagery shifts from haunting and beautiful to horrific and revolting in just a few minutes. 

Rustin Allison


No comments: