Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Moonstone - Book 3

The Moonstone
1868
Written by Wilkie Collins

Another book from the 100 Classic Book Collection. This was the longest one yet! I love the fact that I can carry over 100 books around on my Nintendo DS.

Anyway, on to my thoughts of the book. One of the things that I enjoyed about this book is its sense of humor. There were severals moments that did make me laugh a little to myself as I was reading. The book is divided into severals sections each narrated by a different character. Miss Clack is one of these characters who is so religious and wanting to help those around her find religion that she often overlooks that help that she should give instead. She leaves tracts and different readings around the places she stays so that others may find Christianity. Her section was one of the highlights of the book.

The book is a mystery about the disappearance of a rare diamond. The use of different narrators allows the reader to discover how the 19th century class system operated in England, and how the members of these classes treated each other differently.

Rustin Allison

No comments: