Sunday, March 8, 2009

Little Shop of Horrors

Little Shop of Horrors
7 March, 2009
Belgrade Theatre, Coventry
Written by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken
Directed by Matthew White

Just saw this at a matinee yesterday. This is the third time that I have seen a production of Little Shop of Horrors, and though I have loved it both time previously.... this production is by far the best!

One thing that I think made this production so good was the intimate feel of the show. The first time I had seen the show it was at the Muny in St. Louis. This is a large outdoor theatre, and I was pretty far back. The second time I saw the show, it was the national tour of the recent Broadway revival at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta. Both of these shows were great, but they were also very large productions. The production that I just saw is the UK tour of the Menier Chocolate Factory production. 

I loved every aspect of this production. Before the show starts audio clips from low budget horror and sci-fi films are played and the brick walls of the set had old tattered posters for movies like The Blob. Every role was well cast, especially the female chorus of Crystal, Ronette, and Chiffon. The plant was great, and by changing it from a venus fly trap design to a pitcher plant design allows the plant to have much more character and emotion. 



If you are able to go see this production-- go see it! You won't be disappointed!

Rustin Allison

No comments: