Friday, March 27, 2009

Porco Rosso

Porco Rosso
1992
Directed by Hayao Miyazaki

I love Miyazaki's films. They are often slow and meditative feeling at times, but the pacing is part of what make his films so unique and wonderful. The pace often adds to the dream-like and often surreal quality of his films.

Porco Rosso centers around the story of an Italian pilot who is cursed to have the face of a pig. Though never fully explained, the film does hint at the causes of the curse. The pilot is a bounty hunter and has his plane destroyed by some rogue air pirates. The pilot must enter a dogfight contest in order to have his repair debt paid off.

I think that I enjoy Miyazaki's later films more than his earlier ones. I did enjoy this film greatly, but I don't think that it compares well with his later films such as Kiki's Delivery Service or Spirited Away. That being said, this is still a film worth checking out... especially for animation fans.

Rustin Allison

No comments: