Sunday, March 8, 2009

Watchmen

Watchmen
2009
Directed by Zack Snyder

I went into this film not knowing anything about the subject matter. The only thing that I knew was that it was an adaptation of a classic graphic novel that takes a very dark look at superheroes. The film is dark, brooding and gritty. I must admit that I was confused for the first thirty minutes are all of the characters in this film were completely new to me. After the first adjustment to the characters and the world they inhabit (an America in 1985 where Nixon is still president), I found the story to be very compelling.

The film doesn't shy away from violence, sex, nudity, and human brutality. It is a very dark look at the negative aspects of humanity. The themes of the film include alienation, justice, responsibility, and ethics of right and wrong. Although the film is very lengthy (almost 3 hours), I definitely feel it deserves a second viewing. 

Rustin Allison

No comments: