Monday, March 23, 2009

The Thing

The Thing
1982
Directed by John Carpenter

I really, really enjoyed this film. This is one of those films that I have always heard about, but I have never seen. It truly lives up to its reputation as one of the great horror films.

The aspects of this films that stood out to me are the themes of isolation and paranoia. These men are stuck in a base in the Antarctic at first investigating an alien presence and then trying to escape from it. These are men who can not escape their fate and the inevitableness of the film is one of the things about it that really appealed to me.

The alien can change shape and can take the form of its victims. This leads to a growing sense of paranoia amongst the men as they can no longer trust the people that they have been. This is where the true horror of the film plays out, and I thought the film's greatest moments were when the men could no longer trust one another.

This is one of the few times where I have watched a movie twice back to back and I honestly would not mind watching the film a third or fourth time. The effects were disturbing and amazing and the twisted alien forms had a horrific look to them. I highly recommend this film to any horror or science fiction fan.

Rustin Allison

No comments: